The California Youth Energy Services (CYES) program employs and empowers local youth to provide no-cost Green House Calls to local residents in 20 communities throughout the region. At each Green House Call, a team of two youth provides residents with an energy and water assessment, energy and water saving installations (lightbulbs, showerheads, etc.), and further conservation tips, all at no cost! The resident gets a valuable service, the environment benefits, and the youth get paid employment, training, mentorship, and a wonderful summer experience.
Our Green Energy Training Services (GETS) program serves low-income adults who are un- or under-employed, providing them with hands-on training for careers in the construction, energy efficiency, and solar industries. The program spans 12 months, beginning with the 9-week Core training class, and including case management and job placement and retention support. GETS is a certified pre-apprenticeship program, providing interested participants with a path to union apprenticeship in the skilled trades. All participants receive eco-literacy training and all construction components are taught with an emphasis on energy efficiency.
In addition to these important programs, Rising Sun engages in broad-based partnerships to advocate for green workforce development and environmental justice throughout the region and the state.
We also rely on volunteers to support our programs. If you’re interested in volunteering on a one-time or ongoing basis, please contact our Development Manager here.
- are a hard-worker looking to learn and work in an exciting and meaningful summer job
- are between the ages of 15 and 22
- live in one of the communities we serve
At each appointment, you will provide the resident with:
- A basic energy and water assessment
- Installation of energy and water saving devices such as lightbulbs and showerheads
- Energy and water saving tips and education
- A solar assessment
This is all provided to the residents at no cost! Don’t worry, you’ll be thoroughly trained before you go out into the field so by the time you’re in someone’s home, you’ll be a water and energy efficiency expert!
- Santa Rosa and surrounding cities
- Marin County
- Solano County
City of Martinez
- Pleasant Hill
- Walnut Creek
- City of Concord
- City of Oakland
- City of San Leandro
- City of Hayward
- City of Richmond
- Union City
- City of Fremont
- City of San Ramon
- City of Pleasanton
- San Joaquin County
The 2017 work schedule is:
- June 23rd through August 11th: 10:30am to 6:00pm, Tuesday through Friday.
- Training Week, June 23 – June 30th: 9:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.
- Two adjusted late days: July 13th and July 27th, 12:00pm-7:30pm
If you are a former Energy Specialist interested in becoming a LIFT, please submit your application here.
- At least 18 years of age
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Valid CA driver’s license
- Demonstrate an 8th grade reading, reading comprehension, writing, and math level
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
- Fluent in English
- Have a stable living situation
- Able to attend training every day, Monday-Friday from 9:00am-4:00pm
- Have reliable transportation to and from training
- Express strong motivation to find a job and/or enter an apprenticeship upon completion of training
- Attend an info session
- Fill out an application
- Take the Test of Adult Basic Education
- Submit documentation to verify eligibility
- Participate in a one-on-one interview
Green House Call Recipients
A walk-through of your home to identify energy- and water-saving opportunities
Direct installation of:
- New LED light-bulbs to replace your old incandescent bulbs
- New, high-efficiency faucet aerators and shower-heads to replace inefficient fixtures
- A retractable clothesline, power-strip, or LED nightlight
- Energy-efficient and safe fluorescent floor lamps to replace halogen lamps
- Hot water heater pipe insulation
- Inspection of all toilets for flush volume and leaks
- Flow rate test on bathroom and kitchen water fixtures
- Collection of irrigation information
- Recommendations on how to save more energy and water in your home
- Referrals to rebates and other low/no-cost programs, including bill discounts, weatherization, online energy management tools, and more
- A customized email report detailing the work done in your home, and more tips on conserving energy and water
- Other measures as available, a basic solar assessment
Green House Calls are typically offered throughout the summer, but may be available in the fall. We partner with different cities each year to host the CYES program, so call today to confirm we’re in your city.
We partner with The Pacific Gas and Electric Company, local municipalities, water districts, and other local organizations to bring CYES Green House Calls to local residents.
“The CYES program is a great program for both educating the community about energy conservation and giving young adults an opportunity for leadership – win-win!”
We educate our employees in environmental sustainability, customer service, and technical skills, while providing them with jobs in the green sector. That means that by getting your Green House Call, you’re also helping your community. Our CYES Youth Energy Specialists work in teams: one young adult, aged 18 to 22, and one youth, aged 15 to 17. We are an accredited green employer with full workers compensation and liability insurance.
GETS Core graduates:
- are OSHA 10 and First Aid/CPR certified
- can identify and properly use the tools of the construction trade
- have basic carpentry skills
- have experience framing walls, installing windows and doors, hanging and patching drywall
- have experience conducting a residential energy assessment and installing efficiency measures
- have applied math competency
- have a basic understanding of apprenticeships and the Building Trades
- are professional and job-ready
GETS Solar graduates:
- have basic construction skills
- know the tools of the trade and the components of a solar system
- are comfortable working on a roof
- Have hands-on experience installing residential solar systems
We will also continue to work with graduates placed in your employment for up to a year, helping them overcome any obstacles they may face and supporting them as they adjust to your employment. We’ll also check in with you regularly to make sure the employment is going well and address any issues you may have. We won’t ever just place an employee and disappear. We’re focused on long-term success and strong employer relationships!